Sunday, February 24, 2008

DADDY

This is one of the hardest entrys I will probably ever write.  I know alot of you have been keeping up with me and my family.  Alot of prayers sent our way.  I can feel them all around me.

As you know my Mom was in the hospital with a broken hip.  She flew through the surgery with flying colors.  She is now in rehabiltation and doing an amazing job walking again more and more each day.  I am so proud of her courage and determination.

Then Daddy had the scare of his potasium being too high and taken into another hospital until they could get him stable.

The hospital sent him home and then he apparently had a reaction to the new medication and fell.  The neighbor who went by to check on him found him incoherent on the floor and he was rushed to the same hospital where Mom is recovering.

Then he got better and the hospital released him, but because of the falling Mom thought it best if he stayed at a sort of assistance hospital until they released her from the hospital.

Well he did not like it there....he hated it.  He called my Mom and wanted to go home.  He was trying to get anyone just to bring him to his house.

So I went yesterday to try and convince him to just stay until Monday when they were going to have someone who could come to his house and stay with him during the day.

I didn't think he was going to go for even staying one more minute, but I knew that me not being a nurse would be hard on him.

But I was on my way to either convince him to stay or to pick him up and spend the weekend with him until we could get someone to come to his house.

But on the way to the place my Mom called and said he had fallen again and was being rushed to the hospital again,

So yesterday was pretty rough.

He is not doing well at all.  The reason he fell was because his blood sugar got too low.

He spent all day in the emergency room.

The doctor told us that he has liver cancer, his kidneys are failing and that there isn't much hope.

Daddy is in good spirits though.  He is talking and talking about everything.

He has written a book and all it needs is to be typed out.  He wants me to finish it for him.

He made it through the night.  I will be there all day today with him and my Mom.

The doctor says we are between a rock and a hard place..

He is retaining fluid in his lungs but in order to get that out would be bad for his kidneys which are failing.

He does not want to be put on any machines.

So I have to be strong and just make his last days cheerful and happy.

He talks of going on a vacation with the whole family when he gets well.

I just smile and tell him that sounds like it would be so much fun.

Mom is being strong as well.

We know that God is calling him home.

Just hard to say goodbye.

Going to spend all the time I can with him and treasure my time with him.

Please continue to pray for us.

Thanks so much.

xoxbarb

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how hard what you're going through is. My prayers continued for your family. Big hugs, Martha

Anonymous said...

Barb, please know that we all love you and we are praying for you, your dad and your mom.  Take care.  Love, Shelly

Anonymous said...

(((Barbara)))) I am so sorry;

this verse gave me comfort on my mom's death

Psalm 116:15 "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints"

goodbyes are hard; I know, I said my goodbye over the phone and I don't know if my mom heard it because she was in an unconscious state, but I told her to go to Jesus, that he was waiting for her and that he loved her very much as I did and told her she was a good mom

(((Barbara))))

my prayers will continue

betty

Anonymous said...

That is very, very difficult, Barbara. I wish you all strength, and hope your dad is comfortable.

Anonymous said...

((Hugs)) I continue to keep your dad in my prayers on the smoke. Give him a hug for me and tell him people all over the world are thinking of him....(When you say prayers on the smoke it carries your plea on the wind, I like to think whoever the wind touches gathers strength to the plea)....I know this isn't easy and probably the hardest thing you have ever had to deal with...Just know your in my thoughts dear friend. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Barbara I am so sorry I do hope your Dad is comfortable I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww Barbara, I am so sorry your dad fell again, sending up prayers for him and your mom and hugs to you (((((((((((((((( Barbara ))))))))))))))))))))) Love Ya Lisa XOXO

Anonymous said...

(((((((Barbara))))))))) your in my prayers and so are your parents. If there's anything I can do please let me know. And if you need to talk I am emailing you my cell number.
Love ya,
Cindy xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Keeping you all in my prayers.
Pam

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry:( you and yours are in my prayers:) God be with your Daddy

Deb

Anonymous said...

Oh my Barbara......
I'm so sorry....
I can't believe it...
I don't know what to say....
I'm here....
always special thoughts...
Linda...

Anonymous said...

I went through something similar with my mom.
I am so sorry, hold fast you will get through this.
Just take one day at a time is all you can do.
(((Hugs)))
Cassie

Anonymous said...

(((((Barbara)))))  You are such a wonderful daughter.  You are doing the right thing by agreeing with him....he's trying to keep his spirits up for you and your Mom.   I'm so sorry his health is failing.  The hardest thing is going to be for you to look at him and tell him that it's OK to let go and go to heaven.  God's time is best....and your Dad has served well.  
We love you all the way from NC!!!!  Wish I could be there to hold your hand.
Sharon & Tara too

Anonymous said...

Praying you will handle what ever you have to and prayers for your mom and dad. Paula

Anonymous said...

((((Barbaba))),
 For the first time, I am at a loss for words.  I, too, was a "daddy's girl".  My heart sank, when I read your words.  I will tell you this, what you are going to experience will the the worse experience ever.  To be asked to finish your Daddy's legacy is truly an honor.  I ask God, to give your family strength.  Your Dad sounds like an amazing man.

Fay      

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for all that's going on.  Sending you big hugs!
Missie

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad for you and your family.  It seems that he is begging to come home to spend whatever time he has left in familiar surroundings.  Stay strong and you and your family are in my prayers.

Allison

Anonymous said...

My prayers and heart are with you all the way.  I pray this goes smoothly for your dad and without pain.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Cindy sent me over.  I am so sorry for your loss.  I too was a daddy's girl and although I lost him when I was 17, 35 years ago, the time means nothing.  Gentle hugs to you and your family.  Tells x

Anonymous said...

HUNNY IM SENDING  PRAYERS AND HUGS   YOUR WAY...