Saturday, February 9, 2008

KEEPING YOU POSTED

Id like to start by saying Thanks so much for all of your kind words and prayers. I am so in awe of all of my friends here who have shown such kindness to me and my family.

Like my journal says. God will see me through and will not give me more than I can handle.

It has been a whirlwind ever since this all started.

I was on my way out the door to go to work when I received that dreaded phone call.

I spent the morning packing and getting ready for a visit with my Dad as Mom went to the hospital.

I called him and he wanted me to pick up some Sea Island shrimp for dinner.

No problem....um yeah....It is the first Friday of Lent and everyone and their dog was there picking up seafood.  The line was out the door.

Dad said he wanted Senior Shrimp...so luckily I thought to call him before ordering and asked him if he wanted that grilled or fried.

Oh grilled honey he said....I can not eat fried.

Oh K so I go to order and the girl asks me.....lemon pepper or spicy?

Gee I didn't ask him that.....I said I guess lemon pepper....

I pay and get my waiting ticket and think.....I better call and make sure he can eat lemon pepper...

Dad....can you eat lemon pepper shrimp?

Oh No!  He says...I don't like that kind just get plain....

I say ok welll

He interrupts me....let me talk to the girl, we go there all the time and she knows me....tell her it is for Bob....

I look around and see millions of hungry angry impatient people waiting to give their order and pick it up....

DadI say ....they are really busy I will just tell her to make it plain...

Dad says.....no let me talk to her....she knows me....

I finally convinced him that it wasn't a great idea to make all the hungry impatient people angry by stopping the whole show and asking the girl to talk to my Dad on the phone about how he wanted his shrimp....

I waited one and a half hours after I ordered the food for it to be ready....u read it right the first time....then she didn't give me the cole slaw....Dad loves him some cole slaw....I went back in and she told me that it would be a fifteen minute wait.....I said,,,,you are kidding right?

She kinda huffed and said....just a minute I'll go get it....

Um thanks.

Then I got it home to him...he ate a couple shrimp, half a small corn cob and .....you guessed it....didn't even take one bite of the cole slaw and decided he was full.....

Could I put it in the fridge....he would eat it later....it's still there....all of it....

Next up McDonalds story.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a good daughter!!! wow, 1-1/2 hours to get that food!! you are a good daughter!! so glad you were able to help him get some of the food he enjoys eating

betty

Anonymous said...

You do have your hands full with Mom in the hospital--and trying so hard to please your Dad.  But they are very fortunate to have you there helping.  These are the times that will remain in your memory when they are no longer with you, so value every minute of it.  You won't be sorry, I can assure you.  LaVern

Anonymous said...

You have the patience of a saint.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Did you get some shrimp too.....
You are the best!!!
and I know your dad appreciates it....
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your dad appreciated all you went thru to get some dinner!  Enjoy your Sunday.
Missie

Anonymous said...

oh my sounds like a fun time getting the food. But that was so sweet of you to wait in line. I'm praying for your mom.

Anonymous said...

Awww Barbara, I'm so sorry to hear about her hip. Hope she made it thru the surgery with flying colors. I didn't know about your Dad falling either. Bless your heart about the wait for the shrimp. Dang. Rich wanted fish the first day of Lent too and I said...."Good Luck with that." I've read all the entries that i've been behind on.  Be sure to keep us posted, and remember this....if you can't take care of them it doesn't hurt to let someone else help if it's feasible. My Dad needed care. I was 500 miles away. I felt so much guilt, but I couldn't do anything. My brother works nearly 24 hours a day. He couldn't do anything. We got him a housekeeper at first. That didn't work out, because she bought groceries for him and she bought what HE told her to buy. NOT what he was supposed to be eating. That's when he went to the nursing home. He understood it. He had lost his driver's license because he couldn't see well enough. He had to walk with a walker and was taking so much medication, he couldn't keep it straight. He was happier there than he'd been in the years without my Mom. There were other people there, coherent enough to play cards & dominoes and plenty of nurses for him to flirt with. LOL  So don't try to do it all. You can't.
Love ya sis. Prayers for you and yours.
Hugs, Barb  

Anonymous said...

You have the patience of a Saint! I don't do lines well at all...Your a great daughter! (Hugs) Indigo