Sunday, February 10, 2008

jello, McDonalds AND DADDY

As promised I will tell you about jello, McDonalds and Daddy.

He is doing okay he misses Mom so much....her dog misses her too. She has a little white hairy dog.  She is going deaf I think...I need to take her to the groomers because she can't see through all that hair. 

It became my duty this weekend to let her out side.  I took her out the front and she walked all along the edge of the yard....she knows her boundarys.

She expects a treat when you bring her inside....

JELLO

My Dad hasn't been eating very much.  All he wants is jello.

He asked me to make him some so I go to the cabinet and find boxes.....

orange 2

pinapple 2

strawberry 2

black cherry 1

lemon 4

lime 4

peach 3

I said what kind do you want?  Heres the flavors you have....and I read each flavor from the box....after listing all his choices he says...GRAPE

um not listed :) I said do you want me to go buy you some grape jello?  He said no how about apple...um....let me tell you again the flavors available LOL

He couldn't decide between strawberry and black cherry so I made both.  I cut up some fresh fruit....read the box...it has been years since I made jello.

After mixing it all together I hear....is it ready yet?   um no it has to um gel.....I convinced him to take a nap and told him it would be ready when he woke up.

After his nap I gave him some of the strawberry one...he took a bite and then asked me to put some sugar on it.....I brought him a package of sugar thinking he could just sprinkle it on a little....he poured the whole packet on it....about 3 tablespoons of jello.....He ate half.

At least he ate some I guess......

MCDonalds....this morning I asked him what he wanted for breakfast...He said how about some pancakes from McDonalds?

I said well would you like me to make you some homemade pancakes?

No I really want McDonalds and could you go to the bank on the way it is on......_____street.  And I have a library book that needs to be returned....Ok so I will go to get your breakfast and then I will go do that for you I say....

Well I can wait can you go do that first and then get me some pancakes?  You will need to hurry because they quit serving breakfast at a certain time..

Ok so I go make myself half way presentable....don't want to cause any accidents people looking at the ugly lady driving the car makeupless.

I go to the bank on _____street and there is no bank by that name anywhere....I call Mom at the hospital and she told me where the bank was....a totally different street.

Then I make it to the bank and the guy tells me he can't cash the check because I don't have an account there....I explain the situation and with my proof of id cashes it for me.

Off to return the library book I gotta hurry to make it to McDonalds before they quit serving pancakes.

I make it just in time...order the pancakes and head home.

I get home and give Dad his pancakes and a cup of coffee. 

I look over and he is not eating...

Dad....what's wrong?  don't you want to eat your pancakes?

And he says....Well that's the thing about McDonalds.  Once you get it home it is too cold.

So I say....would you like me to heat it up for you?

Yes please

I heat it up and set it before him..

I look.........nope still not eating.

Dad....are you going to eat your pancakes?

And he says....I would like some jelly on them.

Ok so I put the jelly on them....his favorite.

I look.....

still not taken one bite and the coffee has not been drank either.

Dad?  You aren't going to eat your pancakes are you?

He smiles and says....probably not.

He took 0 bites of the pancakes.

Lady comes by that cleans the house....brings him some jello...He eats all of it....

 

I am trying :)  Hopefully his appetite will pick up soon.

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonder if you could sprinkle some protein powder in the jello for him to get some protein (just a thought); the fruit is a good idea in it; I haven't had jello in years

again, like I said yesterday, you are a good daughter!

betty

Anonymous said...

Wow he has a lot of Jello flavors! I love the red kind...strawberry maybe? I hope he starts eating more.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Awww poor guy.  Keep doing what you're doing...one day it will be us in his shoes.

Anonymous said...

awww poor guy!

I didn't know they make apple flavor jello!

~~~Make it a Great Day~~~
             Sharon
http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/



Anonymous said...

Oh my!  I hope he gets a better appetite soon.  And I hope your mom is doing well.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Your poor Dad. His world as he knew it has been turned upside down. I pray the Lord will give you the strength to cope. Paula

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww I hope your dad gets his appetite back, Love Ya Lisa XO

Anonymous said...

You are doing good for your father and mother. Great dughter. I am 77 years of age and can see nt sekf in your parents circumstances. Hope my daughter and DILs can put up with me. I tend now to be a bit cantankerous at the best.
I do hope God and everybody else takes care of the young and the old. Bill

Anonymous said...

As I've already said your a wonderful daughter , with a world of patience. The last time I made Jello it was a lumpy mess. The thing is I'm a great cook, most everything I cook is homemade....Still trying to figure that one out. I think your dad is wanting the special attention more than anything, missing your mom so much. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

LOL oh my goodness dad and the pancakes!!!!!!  You are a saint!!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some of my inhome patients, especially the elderly ones.  I made Boost and Ensure shakes to make sure they were getting enough calories.  When all else fails SLIM FAST is loaded with vitamins, iron and calories.  Maybe if he won't eat, he'll sip a drink.  

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PRAYINGANDBELIEVING/
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/the-tents-of-deborah/