Thursday, January 12, 2006

Ever Wonder What Happened Right Before the Picture?

Can you believe this picture?  The girl on the far right is Ricks grandmother as a young girl.  These kids look miserable and some terrified.  This picture haunts me.  Ricks grandmother who we called Mamaw was a strict religious person.  She was set in her ways.  She turned out amazingly to be a kind person.

It makes you wonder about these childrens childhoods.

Maybe they were just having a bad day.

To me both parents look mean.

The little girl on top looks like she is fighting not to cry.

The boys look like they just had their ears twisted.

What do you guys think   Barbara

 

 Ever Wonder What Happened Right Before the Picture?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it looks like the family was having a bad day.  

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they were just afraid to get their pictures taken. I wonder if it was a new technology for them and they were afraid they might get hurt. I can understand, though, why it would haunt you. The looks are one of panic.

betty

Anonymous said...

Fascinating picture.  We have sev. like this. Richards grandparents born mid 1850s or therebouts.  I can't wait to get my new printer/scanner thingy hooked up so I can scan this stuff. The people back then didn't have a lot to smile about I guess, I just don't understand why the photographers didn't try to get them to smile.  I guess they wanted to capture the moment as it was.
Barb

Anonymous said...

they all look scared

Deb

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with many of the comments. If you look at pictures taken from the olden days, you hardly see people smiling.
I think alot of it had to do with the fact that they had such a hard life trying to make ends meet.
And the fact that marijuanna wasnt discovered yet.................
Just a Thought....

Anonymous said...

I think that someone frightened them about the new technology.   Apparently someone of authority in the family,  most likely the father, demanded that they take the photo against their will.    mark

Anonymous said...

have to agree with the rest of the comments ... it was probably new at the time to take pictures and they were scared of how it really happened or what for that matter!

Theresa