Friday, November 18, 2005

Just A Mom? Think again!!!

 Hey!           

Enjoy!!! all of the Moms and Grand Moms know this if true. We may all have  other occupations but nothing as tough as being a Mom.  Hugs to all!!!
                                Just a Mom???
A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk's office was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.


 She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.
 "What I mean is,"  explained the recorder, "do you have a job or are you  just a.    stay at home mom?"
 "Of course I have a job," snapped the woman. "I'm a  Mom."

 "We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, "housewife  covers it," said the recorder emphatically.

 I forgot all about her story until one day, I found  myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall.
The Clerk  was  obviously a career woman, poised, efficient and possessed of a high  sounding  title like, "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar."


 "What is your occupation?" she probed.

 What made me say it? I do not know. The words simply popped out.
"I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations."

 The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair  and looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the  title  slowly
 emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my  pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

 "Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest,  "just what you do in your field?"

 Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I  heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research,
(what  mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said  indoors and  out). I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned
 family) and already have one credits (my son). Of
course, the job  is  one of the most demanding in  the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I
 often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is
more  challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards
are  more of  a  satisfaction rather than just money."
 There was an increasing note of respect in the
 clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up and personally  ushered  me  to the door.  As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my  glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistant age 9

"just another Mom."
Motherhood! . What a glorious career!

Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers "Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and Human
Relations"
And great grandmothers Executive
Senior Research Associates"? I think so!!!
I also think it makes Aunts "Associate Research Assistants.

Please send this to another Mom, Grandmother, Aunt,
and other friends you know.

May your troubles be less, your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness

come through your door!

Hugs to all the SAHMs everywhere.

Barbara

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen that before!  Its great!

Holly

Anonymous said...

I know I changed it around to fit me.  My sister in law sent it to me.  You are a great sahm, I can tell by your journal. hugs Barbara

Anonymous said...

I LOVED that!
- Jessica
http://journals.aol.com/aljes12/Jessicasthoughtsfeelings

Anonymous said...

I never tire of that one. Great entry
Hugs, Marina

Anonymous said...

That was nice....

betty

Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic story about you answering the question about your employment status and qualifications.   lol   mark