Okay I know I am not a waitress anymore but I do have some words of wisdom to pass on to those of you who are, Believe me when I say these few things improved my tips enourmously. I do miss it and hopefully this will give you some extra Christmas money!!!! I wrote these for the younger waitresses I worked with who kept asking me how come my tips were so much higher than theirs. I use to make close to 75 a day and this was in a small town restaurant they were making like 20. After trying some of my tricks and techniques their tips improved...so here you go:
Twelve Ways To Improve Your Tips:
1.. Always smile with your heart, even when you are having a bad day.
2. Always be nice to the kids. Treat them like they are...the cutest children you have ever seen. Parents like the special attention given to their children, espcecially new parents. If you have an upset child, you will have upset parents. Offer crackers or small piecesof fruit such as bananas...be sure to ask the parent first as their children might be allergic or their parents might want them to save their appetites
3. Do it before they ask. Have the check ready. Bring extra napkins to the table. Carry out all condiments they might desire.
4. Ask them if they need a booster seat or high chair, do not say "I think there might be one over there in the corner."
5. KNOW THE MENU!!! You must know the menu.
6. Look the part. Make sure your clothes don't smell wierd. Wear clean pressed clothes and keep your hair and nails clean.
7. Be Positive
8. Ask them if this is their first time to eat at your restaurant if you don’t know them and introduce yourself. Ask them where they are from and suggest daily specials to them.
9. Take away unwanted dishes as soon as they are finished. Refill drinks as often as you can. No one wants to look at their empty plates. Offer dessert.
10. Never count your tips in front of your customers, if they see you have already made a lot that day they are likely to tip less\
11. Don’t complain to them about anything.
12. Always check back to make sure they are doing okay. Fix any problems as soon as possible. Don’t argue with customer abouthis/her meal. If necessary take yourself out of it and ask a manager to handle the situation.I hope this helps let me know...